NDCA Judge Membership and Judging Credentials Program
The NDCA Judging Credentials Program offers a unique place for a wide range of members to train, connect and support the role of the dance team adjudicator. We act as an impartial national resource of adjudication knowledge and education. A variety of educational classes lead to 3 levels of credential status: Proficient, Advanced, and High Level.
Who does the NDCA Judging Credential classes/credentials serve?
- Current dance judges from any US high school, college or studio competition organization
- New judges
- Coaches who also judge or would like to get started judging
- Coaches looking to learn more about judging to improve their coaching knowledge
What judging credentials are offered?
Judges can take a variety of courses that lead to 3 levels of credential status.
- High Level
Level 1: PROFICIENT – 3 Classes Total
1. Introduction to Proficient Level Judging: 2 HOURS
Judges will be exposed to several different scoring systems from around the country and review/discuss performance videos to apply this information. It is
recommended that this class be taken first for the Proficient Level, but classes may be taken in any order.
2. Separating Artistic and Technical Elements: 1 HOUR
A practical guide on the important skill of recognizing and separating artistic and technical expressions/elements.
3. Giving Feedback – Verbal & Written: 1 HOUR
This class will cover both verbal and written feedback best practices and techniques.
Level 2: ADVANCED – 2 classes: Prerequisite Requirement – All 3 Proficient Level Classes
1. Introduction to Advanced Judging: 1.5 HOURS
This course will explore and develop skills related to scoring and feedback for judges with experience.
2. Advanced Judging LAB: 1.5 HOURS
In this training course, judges preview and score performances prior to the class and then work together to discuss the performances and learn from each other. Anonymous group scoring range information will help judges understand how their scoring compares to others and lead to professional development. This class is open enrollment for all Judging Credential members to take any time it is offered to practice scoring skills.
Level 3: HIGH LEVEL: To be offered starting in 2021
How Are the Classes and Credentialing Administered?
From Spring, 2020 – Winter, 2021 NDCA Judging Credential classes will be offered online and at some State Association meetings during the year (pending).
After completion of the Proficient Level series, directors will conduct a review either individually or in a group setting to determine credential status. Any additional needed development work will be offered on a customized basis. Judges receive their lapel pin after achieving Proficient Level Credential
Membership, Fees and Calendar
- Judges can join the Judge Membership for $75 annually or add it on to their Primary or Associate membership for just $25.
- Classes offered to paid members only.
- In 2020, all online classes are included with paid membership fees.
- Currently, all classes are offered both in-seat (at the annualConference) and online.
- Academic Calendar runs May – April.
- Membership offered on a rolling basis.
- Members can take the classes even if they do not intend to finish the series and become credentialed.
Benefits of Credentialing Include:
- Name made available to all member associations and organizations.
- Lapel pin to wear when judging.
- Access to a network of national judges and coaches.
- Resources related to current industry trends.
- Gold member pricing for the annual Conference.
How Do I Register?
In order to take a credentialing course, dance team professionals must first be a member of the NDCA, and then are eligible to register for classes.
Sign up for the Judging Credential courses with these easy steps:
1. Start by becoming a member, CLICK HERE
2. If you are an NDCA member and would like to add the Judging Credentials, send an email to email@example.com.
If you are affiliated with a State Dance Team Association and are interested in credentialing your state’s dance team judges, or you just need more
information, please CLICK HERE to contact us.